Some communities need assistance assessing their local affordable housing needs. Others are evaluating local planning and zoning regulations or creating new municipal financing mechanisms to support the creation of affordable housing options. Most small towns and rural communities are interested in learning from each other about the keys to successful planning and policy and building local support. Housing Connections assists with these efforts and provides resources and best practices for success.
Housing Connections works with suburban and rural groups by doing the following:
- Providing sample surveys to help groups asses their local affordable housing needs
- Linking committees with professionals to create more formal housing plans
- Providing support for those groups issuing formal, written reports to their town governments
- Providing support for updating Planning and Zoning regulations where necessary
- Educating on the range of tools and municipal strategies (such as inclusionary zoning and housing trusts) that many small towns have successfully used